- Skill level: Beginner
- Time Required: 30-60 minutes depending on skill level
- Required items: thread, pillow insert
- Recommended tools: sewing machine, iron, ironing board, pressing cloth, scissors/rotary cutter, point turner
This is a visual supplement to the instructions included with any of our 14-16″ x 26-28″ rectangular pillow kits. The Fancy Floral Pillow Kit #3 is the one shown here. You can purchase this kit here.
Included with all of our pillow kits is a set of instructions for assembly with an envelope closure on the back. We try to make construction of our kits as simple as possible, making this a great project for a beginner. If you are looking for a more challenging project, our kits can easily be modified to include more complicated elements. Please check our Tutorials page for some ideas on how to add extra embellishment or directions on alternate closure options.
Notes before starting:
- The pillow kit can be assembled to properly fit any rectangular pillow form insert from 14-16″H x 26-28″W. For this tutorial we will be using a 16″x26″ feather filled FJADRAR insert available from IKEA.
- The unfinished pillow front size is 17″x29″, the seam allowance needed will depend on your insert size. Common insert sizes are 16″x26″ or 14″x28″, please use seam allowances as noted below:
- For a 16″x26″ insert, use a .5″ seam allowance on the long edges, and a 1.5″ seam allowance on the short edges.
- For a 14″x28″ insert, use 1.5″ seam allowance on the long edges, and a .5″ seam allowance on the short edges.
- Spoonflower recommends that all fabrics be washed before use. For this tutorial we did not wash the fabric before beginning. Some shrinkage will occur during washing, due to the squishable nature of a pillow this should not adversely effect the design.
- Before sewing, and through assembly you will need to press your fabric. Press on the unprinted side or use a pressing cloth to avoid damaging the printed design.
- For this tutorial our kit was printed on Linen-Cotton Canvas, our preferred fabric. For this size of pillow kit, a fabric 54″ or wider must be chosen or the back pieces will not be included.
- Some changes to the printed kit were made after the one pictured here. These include a correction to the instructions panel, a decrease in back panel sizes to allow easier insertion of the pillow insert, and an increase in the optional embellishment strip panel size.
- This pillow was constructed with the addition of optional ties at the corners. Find directions for how to add these here.
- Cut all pieces out on dashed lines.
- Fold back pieces along fold line, press. Topstitch in place (approx. 1.75″ from fold), or for a cleaner look press in place with fusible webbing.
- Baste back pieces together (folded edges will overlap, right sides facing the same way), so that the outside edge is equal size to the front.
- Pin or clip front and back together, right sides facing. Overlapping folds of the back panel should be oriented vertically (top-to-bottom).
- Stitch front and back together, using appropriate seam allowances.
- Trim seam allowances, clip corners. Optional: Attach included tag to seam allowance.
- Turn right side out. Press.
- Insert pillow form, folded back edges will overlap to enclose pillow.
- Enjoy your new pillow!